This July, I will have been a Mom
for 14 years. I’m starting to figure
this job out! One thing is certain: I could not have made it this far without all
the help from Maggie’s Other Mothers (they know who they are), chardonnay, and
music.
Don’t misunderstand me. I have really bad taste in music. But so does Maggie, and this is how we bonded
from the start. In the year 2000, Maggie
loved the boy bands. I remember
listening to NSYNC and dancing with Maggie.
Well, I danced and she wiggled
inside my tummy.
Once she was outside my tummy, we
danced to some Christina Aguilera (before she was Xtina) – our favorite song was Come On
Over. I held my little bald baby girl
and we bounced while I sang my version “come on over, come on over
Mag-gie!”
When she could stand by herself I introduced Mag
to Janet Jackson. Maggie held onto the
kitchen counter and tastefully bounced to Nasty Boys. I am such a good influence.
Mercifully, I was not her only influence. When she was two, Maggie started saying
“I-BEE-CUSE” after dinner. I had to call
her Other Mother/babysitter Kay to find out what in the world my daughter was saying.
When Maggie had matured sufficiently and was
emotionally ready, I introduced her to Britney.
(She was four years old). Our
favorite song was Toxic. Mag knew all
the words. She explained to me that when
Britney sang “You’re dangerous - I’m lovin’ it” that Britney was talking about traffic.
Because bad traffic can be so dangerous. We listened to this song so often, Maggie suggested
my sister name her first-born child Toxic.
From age 4 to 11, the music was a
whirl of Justin Timberlake, Britney, Maroon Five, Britney, Adele, Nelly
Furtado, Shakira, and Britney. On the
first day of 6th grade we were both extremely uptight. Ok, I
was extremely uptight. Mag was
fine. I was about to drop my BABY off at
this big awful school. We played Lady
Gaga. And it soothed us both.
I realize I only have 4 more
years of music with Maggie. Ok, I know there will be music after that
too, but it won’t be the same, because I won’t control the Ipod.
I have so much more music to play
for Maggie. Mag needs to hear and see
Milli Vanilli. She needs to know that
just because a man looks nice and is a good dancer does not mean he has true
talent. Maggie needs to know she can
choose her own music and dance her own dance.
Just because everyone else is drinking margaritas and lining up to do
the Macarena doesn’t mean she has to.
I need the music to help me
explain true love. I’ve already made Maggie
listen to Fleetwood Mac sing The Chain and explained to her that the two
vocalists loved each other and hated
each other at the same time. I’ve
explained that while those vocalists sounded pretty great at the time, true love sounds nothing like that. True love sounds like her daddy singing
Blue-Eyed Girl to me, even though the song is actually called Brown-Eyed
Girl.
I need the music to remind her to
come home. Even though Mag will go off
to college someday and might follow JLo’s lead – dating a series of dumb-but-sexy
back up dancers, she can always come home.
Even if she makes bad decisions like changing her name to a symbol and
later realizes she has made this bad decision and then decides to change her
name back to a non-symbol, everyone will forgive her, especially me. And she can come home.
If I know anything, I know that
even though Maggie is now potty trained, even if she now knows Britney was not talking about traffic, and that
Nasty Boys might not have been an appropriate song for a dancing toddler - she
will always listen to music with me.
And if the timing is right, and
no one is looking, we might put on Let’s Go Crazy and run around the house in
circles.
No comments:
Post a Comment